Dental implants are used to replace teeth when they are badly damaged, and have to be extracted. A metal fixture (usually a screw) is placed into the bone, and this acts as an anchor for a new false tooth or set of teeth. Over time, the implant or screw, fuses with the jaw bone and remains a strong support for the fake teeth (a process known as osseointegration). This can take 3-9 months. The dentist will then construct your new tooth as a crown or a bridge.
Traditionally, we would replace a missing tooth with either a bridge or a denture. Implants however, offer a vast array of advantages over these methods.
Advantages of Dental implants
- They are very natural looking
- Implants are very strong and long lasting
- They are permanent (not removable)
- There is no wear and tear on surrounding teeth
- Patients can eat hard food with confidence
- Patients experience an increase in self confidence
- There are no age restrictionsfor a dental implant (unlike alternative options)
Requirements for a successful dental implant
- Have a reasonable amount of dense bone tissue in your jaw
- Have healthy gums (no periodontal disease)
- Preferably a non smoker
If you would like to know if a dental implant is suitable for you, make an appointment today on 93693393 for a consultation.